Sunday 9 June 2013

Planning and sun

I'm linking this blog post to the Let's get acquainted link up by Beth at Plum and June. Hey a girl could always use a few more visitors! So anyone who is joining me from there feel free to look around and tell me how you guys have great looking blogs. I just can't seem to get it right.

Well it was my last week at my old job this week and I now have a week off before starting my new job on a Friday. What an odd day to start work!
Everyone was sad to see me go but we all went out for drinks after work on Thursday so that was fun. Not so much for the people who were in work at 5am the next day I suspect since we hit the pub at 12 after work and spent the afternoon in the beer garden. I left at 9pm after we'd relocated to a different pub and back inside. I'll miss the people but I'll not miss the place. Hopefully we'll keep in touch.
After leaving work you'd think that would leave me with a week I could sew until my heart was content - you'd be wrong. Apparently my life is busier when I'm not at work then when I'm there. This isn't helped by British summer time finally putting in an appearance.

On Saturday (yesterday) enjoying my first Saturday off for a while I dragged my sister out for a walk. She took her Camera and I took my GPS (hey, I'm not passing up a geocaching opportunity!). The sun was lovely although there was a rather nasty cold wind.

First up was a walk around a lake to do a spot of geocaching and for my sister to take pictures of flowers and stalk damsel flies.

Sister taking pictures
Jack Sparrow? They had a film costume exhibition on.

QE2 lake - looks lovely doesn't it?
After that it was a trip to some local woods for a wander around. Sis wanted to see the wild flower meadow. I wanted to do the geocaches. A match made in heaven.


We both wanted Ice cream!
Bluebell woods

And that is all the excitement of this past week I'm afraid. I have bought a bike but I don't get that until Thursday and even then I suspect I'll have to spend some time learning to ride a bike again if my demos at the shop were anything to go by. I'll pop a picture up when I get it next week. In the mean time I have to go shopping for bike locks, and bags for it, and a helmet etc...

So onto the planning mentioned in the title. I want to make a quilt this week like this one
Film in the Fridge - Rectangle Squared




I love the colour grey so it seems like a good choice of background but which colours to use with it? (this is Kona mid grey in the background because it looks slightly odd in these pictures)

My plan had originally been for a green and grey quilt but I'm just not certain
I LOVE the bright colours and randomness of this selection but I worry it's slightly too purple?
The batik collection. It would certainly make for a bright and random coloured quilt  but I'm just not certain. Most of these batiks came from the US when a friend visited.
I think these all have good points but I just don't know which to choose. It looks like a nice quilt to make and I'd love something bright I can snuggle under after a hard day at work. I have no quilts for myself after all.

I'm off now to sort out a birthday pressie for a friend. Gotta get that done soon as her birthday is creeping up. It's getting harder and harder and we try and out personalise each other. She got me a mug last year with pictures on of us, I made her a jewellery roll (the first thing I'd made that wasn't a quilt from a pattern!), this year she got me a photo frame with pictures of us so I need to work on something epic! She's just got out of hospital too so I best go find a get well soon card.
Speaking of cards - it's my dad's birthday tomorrow and I haven't got him a card of present yet. Oops. Told you I was busy!

6 comments:

  1. Hey, your photos aren't awful! At all! I finally figured out (like a month ago) how to make mine bigger, and even not-great photos look great bigger, I think. I love that FITF pattern. I would choose grouping #2, I think. You do have three purples but I really like purple, especially with grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I've yet to get to the brave(?) point of taking my quilts and putting them in nice locations for photos. I'm afraid I do seem to show a lot of our carpet/laminate flooring in photos. lol. I blame the weather.
      I'm pestering lots of people with my pictures and so far that 2nd combo is winning. You can never have to much purple I say!

      Delete
  2. Hello! I wandered in from the Monday Link Up. I am going to say I like your original colorway, the green and gray. I may be a bit biased as I love yellow, green and gray. The fabrics in the second piccie are very good for this pattern, too. Maybe it is the picture, but I think the batiks look a little washed out with the gray. I often use black to make bright batiks pop.

    I was a Girl Scout leader here on my side of the pond for 11 years. It is wonderful that you take the time from your busy life to offer this opportunity to your girls. Three of "my girls" are now leaders. May all you teach they someday pass on to others, too.

    Cheers! :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello over there!
      Yeah the batiks are a funny mix of bright and kind of washed out looking. I do love them and their brightness though. Just need to find the right quilt for them. I do love green and grey after I used them together in my starry quilt on a block.

      Always nice to find a fellow girl scout/guide leader too! We really are everywhere. I like to pretend it's for the girls but who doesn't enjoy getting to act like a big kid again :)I also have 3 of my ex 'girls' who are leaders too. 2 of them in my unit and both off to university this autumn. Makes me feel old but I'm proud of them and what they've achieved. I think I learn more from my Guides and Rangers sometimes then they do from me.

      Delete
  3. I hope you're having a great week off and that your new job goes well on Friday. The quilt looks great. Good luck with deciding which colour combination to use :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm having a busy week off but I wouldn't have it any other way :)

      Delete