Saturday 1 June 2013

It's a new day... and I'm feeling good!

Well, as Muse put it in their song *.. It's a new day and I'm feeling good! And what a good month May was. I'll actually sad to see it go! Welcome to anyone joining me from the Lily's quilts blog hop and hello to everyone else!

It was a sad month too. I run a Ranger unit which is the oldest section of Girlguiding (the UK version of Girl scouts) that girls can belong to and our oldest member is moving away to another city with her boyfriend. I've known her since she was 10 and it's been nice to see her grow into a confident 22 year old from the shy girl she once was. We had one last meeting all together and my sister made cakes for the occasion. They were burgers and she make sugar cookie chips (fries) to go with them. they went down very well.


I FINALLY finished making the starry quilt that I feel like I've been making forever for a friend. She hasn't got it yet but at least it's done. It was my first attempt at free motion quilting and although not perfect I'm rather impressed with how it looks.


I've also been joining in with a paper piecing quilt along this month. The first quilt along I've done and also my first attempt at paper piecing. Subscribers may recognise some of these pieces but the first 3 are my new ones from last week and I have another 3 to get made for this week then it's all done! Sorry the pictures are sideways. No idea why or how to turn them.


I've also been working on that quilt for my friend's wedding. It's not until October but best to get things done early. The easy bit is all done now. I've got my coloured squares all made and I now have a fair idea of just how giant this quilt will be. The centre of these squares is blank for Guests to write messages and the big gap in the middle will have pictures in of the couple when I a) get them and then b) work out how to get them on fabric! This isn't the actual layout. I promise I'll mix the colours a bit more.



This month, inspired by watching the Great British Sewing Bee on telly, I've also tried my hand at making clothing instead of quilts or random items. I've made a trial version of a dress and a top. Neither have been made in proper fabric yet because I haven't worked out which fabric to use. I'm rather impressed with myself and my invisible zip inserting skills though.









I've also been shopping for fabric. I'm a bad person. My stash really is big enough already but I can't resist the pretty fabric, especially when it's on sale!

My ebay fabric

 And then there's what's been happening in my life. In the middle of the month I went on an occupational therapy open day at the local uni. I really think that's what I'd like to do with my life so I'm looking into how to do that. I think I'm going to have to go back to college to get some recent eduction and I'm probably going to have to try and get some work experience too.
The most exciting and recent change though is that after many years of searching and saying I was going to change jobs because I hated my current one I have a new job! It all happened so fast when last Thursday I got an email asking if I was interested. I went for 1 interview and then on Tuesday I was told I had a 2nd group assessment on the Wednesday then on Thursday afternoon I found out I had the job. It's not the most glamorous in the world - it's in a call centre but the money is better and the hours are more sociable. No more getting up at 3am for me :) I handed my notice in at work today and Thursday if my last shift.
That chapter of my life is over and another one is about to begin.

Now begins to great search for a bike so I can cycle to work... 
Lily's Quilts
Lily's Quilts




*other versions of feeling good available.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Alex, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog. Unfortunately I couldn't reply directly to you as your are a 'no reply comment' blogger. Jxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear I thought I'd fixed that problem. I'll have to head off to try again :)Thanks for letting me know

      Delete
  2. Well May was a busy month for you! Great block and another addicted to fabric like me! Congratulations on the new job, it really can change your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm looking forward to a new start and the new challenges it'll bring.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on your new job! And your quilts are gorgeous and your dress making skills look fab too, it's going to be a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Just have to work out what fabric to make the dress from. There is just too much choice out there.

      Delete
  4. The great British Sewing Bee started me off on dressmaking again too! Love your dress, i just made a Staple Dress, its super easy, can recommend it!

    ReplyDelete